Friday 13 September 2019

Christmas can wait a while

Please tell me I'm not the only one frustrated at the sight of Advent Calendars in September? I enjoy a cheeky chocolate in the morning just as much as anyone but I'll happily give it up in exchange for Christmas pissing off for another month or two.

Don't get me wrong... I love Christmas. I love the time off work to spend with my family (for those of you who work in retail, I feel for you!) I love those days in between Christmas and New Year when I'm full up with cheese and crackers and I'm not quite sure what day it is. I love Christmas dinner and having to undo the top button of my jeans to make room for dessert. I love watching people unwrapping presents and of course I love unwrapping presents too!

But Christmas is only for one day. It's one day that many people spend months worrying about. When my son was younger I worried that he wouldn't have enough. I wanted him to have everything on his list and I'd max out the credit card and go without to make sure it got it and then he'd make a den out of the boxes.

This year I'm doing things differently. I'm making a budget and sticking to it. I'm telling friends and family that I'm not buying presents (apart from very close family) which in turn releases them from the pressure of buying for me. I think half the presents I buy are because I know that person buys for me and I feel obligated to return the favour. This year I'm giving my time. Maybe a babysitting voucher, a dog sitting session or a couple of hours gardening and I'm hoping that everyone will be ok with it and not think me a tight cow!!!! But even if they do, I refuse to get myself into debt for the sake of one day.

So no, I most definitely will not be buying an Advent calendar in September.... how about you?

Janine x


No comments:

Post a Comment